Detoxification is a process that consists of removing toxins from your body. That means that toxins are inside your body. So, they affect different organs differently. But some of the most affected organs are the ones that act as filters, such as the liver, the lungs and the kidney. That’s why it is very important to look into each and every one of them.
The kidneys are some of the most important organs in our bodies. They act as filters, preventing toxic substances from accumulating in our bodies. They really do have all the body’s blood passed through them and the task ahead of them is of great importance and difficulty.
Too much or too little urine, a different color (the normal color should be light yellow), nausea or swelled feet can be a sign that something is wrong with your kidneys.
The last stop in the organism
The kidneys are the last stop that some of the toxins make before exiting the body. The nephrons, the functional unit of the kidney, are the smallest, most basic working unit in the kidney. Although small, they are extremely complex, having lost of functions. They have to decide what substances to keep into the body and which ones are bad and have to be eliminated. And besides that, they must also work out how much of the water there is in the organism is needed and how much must be thrown away.
To avoid different illnesses of the kidneys, they have to be helped from time to time. Thus, one can make sure and reduce the risk of developing certain conditions by taking certain actions.
What does the doctor recommend?
You have to drink a fair amount of liquids (8 to 10 glasses of water per day) in order to eliminate, through the urine, the toxins in your body. You must include in your daily menu lots of fibers (beans, bread, cereals, cabbage, carrot, oat bran and wheat), reduce the amount of meat you eat, reduce the amount of salt you eat and try to avoid, as much as possible, foods rich in oxalate, such as nuts, chocolate. You should also be careful about how much sugar and precooked products you consume.
What does the herbalist recommend?
It’s basically the same advice: drink lots of liquids. Moreover, plants can be really helpful in these situations, aiding your kidneys in eliminating the toxic substances they encounter.
- Horsetail combined infusion: cover 4-6 teaspoons of chopped strains of horsetail with 250ml of water and let it soak for 8 hours. Then filter it and put the liquid away. Boil the remained plant with another 250ml of water, let it cool and then filter it. Mix the two liquids obtained. Drink 1-2 liters of combined infusion every day, in over the course of 12 days, followed by a break of 7 days, and then you can start over again. It has a powerful diuretic effect and it also helps in cystitis, nephritis and pyelonephritis.
- Corn silk infusion: add one teaspoon of plant for each cup of water. Drink two to three of these cups every day. You can also use plants such as agrimony, yellow nettle and dandelion.
- Parsley decoction: brew one handful of green parsley in 500ml of water for 10 minutes. Filter it, let it cool and drink one cup each day. It has a wonderful effect in cleansing the kidney from toxins and it prefects the formation of kidney stones.
Follow some of the advices given here, and you will be able to avoid some of the problems that your kidneys might have. But if you experience certain problems for a longer period, you should go and see a doctor. Nevertheless, a well balanced and healthy lifestyle does lead to a better quality of life!
More detox programs:
- Detox – The Liver, Laboratory of the Body
- Detox – The Colon, Body’s Garbage Dump
- Detox – The Lungs, The Vital Air-flow
- Detox – The Blood, The Fluid in Us
- Detox – The Skin, The Barrier Against All Evils